Garbage Disposal Leaking at the Dishwasher Inlet
If water is leaking at the dishwasher inlet, this is the place for answers.
- There is a correction to Installation, Care and Use Manuals included with products manufactured November 2019 to January 2020. There is an important update to step six of the manual. Please review the update by clicking here.
- Note: this troubleshooting guide only applies if you have a dishwasher drain hose attached to the garbage disposal dishwasher inlet.
Watch & Learn
If water is leaking at the dishwasher inlet, this 40-second video points out a few key areas to check and correct.
Before attempting to repair your garbage disposal, read and understand the entire InSinkErator safety and installation instructions listed below.
1. Check if knockout plug was removed.
The knockout plug is a small piece inside of the garbage disposal at the dishwasher inlet. It needs to be removed in order to properly hook up the dishwasher drain hose.
2. Check the clamps.
Check to see if the clamps are tight.
3. Check the hose adapter, if used.
Check that the hose adapter is intact and tight.
4. Check the elbow/trap joint.
Verify that the elbow/trap joint is tight.
Still Not Working?
If after following our troubleshooting solutions your garbage disposal still leaks, it may need service. If the problem with your garbage disposal is due to a quality issue, InSinkErator may pay to have an authorized service center service the garbage disposal in your home at no charge to you.
Tips For Success
- Locating Hard to Find Leaks: Empty the area below the sink. Spread a sheet of newspaper flat over bottom of cabinet below sink. Secure with tape. If water drips from a leaking area, it will leave a wet spot on the paper. Place stoppers in sink(s) and fill with water. Leave sinks full for a while. Look for leaks. Remove stopper(s) and let sink drain. Look for leaks. Turn on the water and garbage disposal and allow them to run while looking for leaks.
- If leaks are not found, keep paper in place for a few days. If you see no indication of leaks, water may be from other sources. Check water filters, dish sprayer, faucet, dishwater drain hose, sink/countertop seam, countertop joints.
Was this answer helpful?
Need additional help? Contact Us