Garbage Disposal Leaking from the Mounting Assembly

If the mounting assembly is leaking, you need correct mounting installation answers.

Watch & Learn

If your newly installed InSinkErator garbage disposal appears to be leaking, this 40-second video points out a few key areas to check and correct.

Written Directions

If the mounting assembly is leaking, check to see if it's properly installed.

Materials Needed


1. Check for proper assembly.

Check that the mounting assembly is properly assembled.

garbage disposal mounting assembly 

2. Check garbage disposal locking ring.

Ensure that the garbage disposal locking ring is rotated fully to the right.

3. Check for loose screws.

Check the three screws making sure each is tight and secure.

4. Is this a new installation?

If this is a new installation, check under the sink flange for excessive plumber's putty. Remove the garbage disposal, remove any excess plumber's putty, tighten the screws, remount the garbage disposal and test for leaks again.

Still Not Working?

Text us at 262-233-2231 for more help! If after following our troubleshooting solutions your garbage disposal still leaks, it may need service. If the problem with your garbage disposal is due to a quality issue, InSinkErator ma​y pay to have an authorized service center service the garbage disposal in your home at no charge to you.

Tips For Success

  • Locating Hard to Find Leaks: Empty the area below the sink. Spread a sheet of newspaper flat over bottom of cabinet below sink. Secure with tape. If water drips from a leaking area, it will leave a wet spot on the paper. Place stoppers in sink(s) and fill with water. Leave sinks full for a while. Look for leaks. Remove stopper(s) and let sink drain. Look for leaks. Turn on the water and garbage disposal and allow them to run while looking for leaks.
  • If leaks are not found, keep paper in place for a few days. If you see no indication of leaks, water may be from other sources. Check water filters, dish sprayer, faucet, dishwater drain hose, sink/countertop seam, countertop joints.

Was this answer helpful?

Need additional help? Contact Us